CBD is gaining popularity throughout the world because of its medicinal properties. There are many ongoing research and studies regarding the use of CBD oil.
CBD or cannabidiol is a perfect cure for relieving the symptoms of medical conditions. The Cannabis plant is used to extract the CBD oil, which has numerous benefits.
The CBD oil provides relief from diabetes, arthritis, alcoholism, PTSD, epilepsy, schizophrenia, MS and chronic pain.
CBD oil is anti-inflammatory, analgesic, anti-nausea and anti-spasmodic treatment which works perfectly for most individuals.
Many people are looking for answers regarding the association of CBD oil and health problems.
In the history, Cannabis had been in use for treating the illnesses until the drug was made illegal. The Cannabis plant has two most important compounds which include the THC or CBD.
THC leads to the drunk or high feeling while CBD aids in relieving most of the symptoms due to its medicinal properties. Find cannabis strains which are legal and rich in CBD content.
What does it mean by CBD oil?
The CB oil serves as a perfect alternative and natural remedy for soothing different medical conditions. However, what does it mean by CBD in particular?
CBD is also termed as Cannabidiol which is a type of compound found in the Cannabis plant.
The CBD oil works in association with the endocannabinoid system in the human body which plays a vital role in most of the rational body functions.
The CBD oil has two essential compounds CBD and small amounts of THC so that it does not result in high or stoned feelings.
Methods of extracting CBD oil
There are three different methods of extracting the CBD oil:
- CO2 Method: For this process, the CO2 is pushed through the cannabis plant at low temperatures and high pressure. With this technique, purest form of CBD oil is extracted.It is the most refined and safest method for cleanly extracting the CBD oil, removing the compounds such as chlorophyll and resulting in no residue.
The CBD oil derived from aCO2technique has a cleaner taste, but it is a costly method due to which other alternatives are used.
- Oil Method: It is a popular method which involves the carrier oil. The olive oil is the most commonly used oil for the extraction of CBD.It is gaining popularity due to the added benefits along with the nutrients of carrier oils. The oil method is safe without any residues.
- Ethanol method: This method helps in extraction of CBD oil with the help of high-grain alcohol. The ethanol method destroys a small amount of beneficial natural oils.
How do you make your own CBD oil?
There are two recipes to prepare the CBD oil:
1. Oil method
1 cup of carrier oil example 25% almond oil, 50% virgin type of olive oil or 25% coconut oil.
14 grams of organic leaves and buds of CBD.
- Use a coffee grinder which grinds the stems, leaves, and buds of the cannabis plant, but follow the most important step to decarboxylate the buds and leaves before For decarboxylation, bake the ground leaves and buds for 90-100 minutes at 220degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the cannabis plant in the glass jar containing the oil.
- Tightly cover the lid on it.
- Place a washrag in a saucepan and put the glass jar into the pan.
- Add 2-3 inches of water in the saucepan.
- Boil the water for around 200 degrees and let it boil for approximately 3 hours. If the water starts getting too low, then add more water to the pot to prevent water from drying.
- Shake the glass jar few times after 1 hour but be careful as the jar would be extremely hot.
- After it has been 3 hours, turn the flame and place a towel covering the pot.
- Allow the glass jar to cool for further 3 hours.
- Now repeat.
- Allow the jar to sit in the pan, covering it with a towel.
- Repeat the process for three days which makes a stronger oil. However, you can also use the product after a day.
- Strain the herbs and oil with the help of cheesecloth in another jar. Squeeze the cheesecloth thoroughly to get the most from the plant.
- You can use this CBD oil for the local purpose, to identify the changes you feel in your body.
- It works well for lupus, psoriasis, arthritis, dermatitis, and others.
- Strain the oil along with the herbs through a cheesecloth into another glass jar. Be sure to squeeze the cloth to get every last drop out of the hemp. The CBD oil has anti-inflammatory, analgesic and decongestant properties.
2. Alcohol method
CBD or other cannabinoids can be easily extracted by the use of alcohol which is a safe and straightforward process.
By using this method, you do not need to use unique skills or equipment for the production of potent CBD oil.
The alcohol is considered as the best solvent for extracting CBD oil as it leaves no unpleasant or harmful residue.
30 grams of ground Cannabis buds.
4litres of alcohol.
Ceramic or glass bowl.
A fine strainer example sieve, cheesecloth or nylon stockings.
Silicon spatula, wooden spoon, plastic syringe or funnel.
- Arrange the equipment and clean the working area before you start CBD oil preparation.
Cover the cannabis plant in a bowl entirely with alcohol and keep stirring for 3-6 minutes with the help of a wooden spoon for expelling the resin. Make sure that the container can hold the raw material and the solvent.
- Use a sieve for filtering the solvent and collect the raw extraction in a container, squeeze as much liquid as possible.
You can repeat the filtering and squeeze process while using a new batch of alcohol solvent to extract as much CBD oil as possible.
- Pour the extracted liquid in a double boiler and heat it up till it starts to bubble. Allow the alcohol to evaporate without raising the temperature.
Keep the flame at low heat and allow the mixture to simmer for 15-30 minutes gently. Keep stirring and avoid the liquid to get heated up.
When the alcohol has completely evaporated, mix the extracted fluid and scrap it with the help of a silicon spatula.
- Transfer the concentrated CBD oil in a storage bottle or choose a dosage container before the CBD oil gets cold and thick with time.
Draw the CBD oil in a plastic syringe and place it in a dark, small, airtight containers. You can portion the dosage by squeezing a small amount of CBD oil from the plastic syringe or by using a small spoon or toothpicks.
The CBD oil extraction with the help of grain alcohol is the safe and efficient method, highly suitable for ingestion.
Which cannabis strains should be selected?
Choose strains which are high in CBD content example:
- Harlequin (clone-only)
- CBD shark shock
- Charlotte’s web
- Med Gom 1.0
- Sour Tsunami
Advantages of making your own CBD oil
- The quality of the product is controlled. You can choose the strains according to your requirements.
- You can prepare a product which can use for local conditions or consumed for internal medical conditions.
- The CBD oil can be produced at a relatively low price.
- You can add or omit the ingredients accordingly in your CBD oil preparation.
Conditions for which the CBD oil is used
In following conditions, CBD oil is used:
- Chronic pain
- Crohn’s Disease
- Dravet Syndrome
- Epilepsy, seizures
- Hodgkin’s Lymphoma
- Joint pain
- Lack of appetite
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Muscle spasms
- Nausea from chemotherapy
- Neuropathic Pain
- PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) and others
Decide which method you want to utilize the CBD oil preparation. Choose the one which works best for you.
The method of extracting the CBD oil depends on your choice. The extraction method does not affect the mode of action of cannabinoids on how they encounter the human body.
Just bear in mind that it takes a lot of time and energy to CBD oil preparation at home and there is no guarantee that the method will produce a concentrated product perfect for your needs.
The procedure of CBD oil preparation is a messy process, and you need to buy few types of equipment.