This question has been circulating on social media and medical science. How to make hemp oil at home?
We will share with you all the recipes and techniques that how can you make hemp oil which will make your life simpler and you do not need to purchase Hemp oil from the market.
Firstly, what is hemp oil?
Hemp oil is extraction derived from the flowers and leaves of Cannabis Sativa especially from marijuana varieties.
These variants have a high amount of Cannabinoids example Cannabidiol and Tetrahydrocannabinol.
These compounds improve the body balance and act on the receptors present in endocannabinoid system.
Hemp oil can be purchased from medical users and only in states which permit the use of medical marijuana.
Hemp oil is a natural cure for various health problems ranging from cancer, heart disease, arthritis or any skin problems.
Hemp oil is anti-inflammatory, analgesic acts as a painkiller, anti-nauseatic and anti-spasmodic.
It is said that 100 grams of hemp plant produce 7-8 grams of hemp oil while 1kg of the bud produces 700-800 grams of oil.
If you are using a high-quality Hemp plant, then it will produce 175-200 grams of hemp oil.
It is recommended that Cannabis Sativa is used for energizing purpose while Cannabis Indica is used for healing purposes.
How to make hemp oil?
The first most important point before you start to make hemp oil is to purchase it as it is risky both physically and legally.
The making of hemp oil requires essential equipment along with fumes and flammable liquids.
You only need hemp plant and everyday household items for the making of hemp oil.
Just keep it in mind that you need to take great precautions while preparing it. The process that makes the hemp oil is termed as Rick Simpson Oil.
1. Equip and prepare your work place
- A well-ventilated space
- Fire extinguisher
- Stove or electricity if intended
- Protective wearing example non-latex gloves, hot pads or oven mitts, odor respiratory mask or safety-paint and safety glasses.
- 2-3 plastic buckets
- Water around one Tsp
- A Wooden stick unvarnished or untreated
- Marijuana (1 ounce) ( high strain)
- A Coffee filter
- Isopropyl alcohol (500 ml) or 190 ever clear/proof grain alcohol. Avoid using Coleman fuel, heavy naphtha or VM&P naphtha because these solvents leave residue in oils.
- A large container
- A ventilation fan
- A rice cooker (it helps to achieve decarboxylation, the process in which Carboxyl group is removed and releases carbon dioxide)
- Oven mitts
- Dehydrator or coffee warmer
- A glass or plastic bottle
- A stainless steel bowl or container
(One ounce of marijuana produces 4-5 grams of Hemp oil. It all depends on the type of strain. The quantity of CBD and THC also varies according to the strain)
3. THC extraction from hemp plant using a solvent
- Dry the hemp plant completely by placing it under direct sunlight.
- Put your material in a plastic bucket but make sure it is dry.
- Use 99% isopropyl alcohol around 500 ml and dump the material by using this solvent. You can also utilize other solutions for this purpose. First wash removes the medicinal resins from the plant. Half kg of cannabis requires at least 8-10 liters of solvent for two washes.
- Use an untreated or unvarnished wooden stick to crush the damp hemp which makes it easy to grind. Or you can also use your hands for this purpose.
- Keep adding the solvent until the material is thoroughly wet and keep mixing for 2-3 minutes. The mixing effect dissolves the compounds of the plants i.e. 75-80% CBD and THC into the solvent.
- Rewash it to extract 20% of the remaining compounds. Pour the solvent and oil mix in the second plastic bucket. Again add the Alcohol to the hemp and cover it completely and keep mixing for 2-3 minutes.
- Shift the solvent mix to the previous bucket and toss down the plant material.
- Pass your mixture through the coffee filter and pour it into a clean container.
4. Store the hemp oil and remove the solvent
- Now boil the solvent in a rice cooker or double boiler which works perfectly for this process. If your alcohol cooks in 35-40 seconds, then the quality of the solution is right. Benzene solvent is perfect for making this oil because it contains chlorophyll which does not make the oil dark in color as occurs with Alcohol.
- Pour the solution in the rice cooker and fill it up to 3/4th. Plug the rice cooker and switch the heat to high temperature i.e. around 290 degrees F or 140 degree Celsius.
- You will notice a drop in the level of solvent.At this point start adding the remaining solution mix and keep doing it until the time it is completely in the rice cooker.
- When 1 inch of the solution is left inside the rice cooker, add water to the combination. around 1tsp which helps to release the residue from the solution and protects the hemp oil from excessive heating.
- Place your oven mitts and pick up your rice cooker. Swirl the remaining components in the rice cooker until they completely evaporate.
- Now you can pour the oil into a clean container.
- You need to place this stainless bowl on a mild heating device such as a dehydrator or coffee warmer at least for few hours. It is one of the most significant steps because it allows complete evaporation of solvent and water from the oil.
- When the bubbling effect in the oil has stopped, you are ready to pour this into a clean bottle and utilize it for different purposes. If the quantity of your oil is small, you can pour it in the small oral syringes and store them in dark, cool cabinets.
While cooking, please be careful as the fumes are highly toxic and flammable. do not breathe in.
Attempt this process in a well-ventilated space to blow away the fumes. Keep in mind to try this process away from any cigarettes, sparks, hot elements, naked flames or any other element which can result in ignition of fumes.
Perform this procedure in a well-ventilated area because if there is no air flow, then solvents get higher up in the air and end an event resulting in fumes. Perform three washes in cases where you want to utilize the oil for skin conditions. 2 washes should be carried out for internal conditions.
Different strains produce different oils. Some may produce thick oils which are very hard to squeeze.
The ultimate solution to this problem is to take a syringe and put it in hot water for at least 2-3 minutes and then transfer to clean bottle.
FAQ’s about hemp oil
Following are the few questions asked by public related to the making of hemp oil:
How much hemp should be taken and made?
When you take 500 grams or one pound of bone-dry hemp in the form of buds, it will produce 55-60 ml or 2 ounces of high-grade hemp oil. It is enough amount to treat cancers if you ingest them for three months.
It is an active oil so begin your treatment in small dosages.
A drop of oil for 2-3 times daily is enough to produce the results. After a week you can increase the dose gradually. With time your body develops tolerance to the oil and you consume in large quantities.
For individuals suffering from pain, the dose should be increased so that it is used as pain killer agent. It can be applied externally to relief injuries.
Does hemp oil get you high?
There are no such cases in medical science where a person gets high or harms himself by consuming hemp oil.
Does hemp oil result in addiction?
Hemp oil is very effective for medical purposes. It is non-toxic, non-addictive and harmless oil.
Is it similar to hemp seeds oil?
Surely, no because it is made from small leaves and buds of Hemp plant, while hemp seed oil is prepared by using the seeds of Hemp plant.
Hemp seed oil lacks enough amounts of THC which is required for treating the medical conditions while Hemp oil does have enough amounts of THC.
How to use hemp oil?
Hemp oil can be ingested, applied topically or vaporized. You can also add the hemp oil in salves or creams for external usage.
Simple facts about hemp oil for beginners
- Avoid taking blood pressure medications and insulin especially in people suffering from cardiac or diabetic issues, while you are consuming Hemp oil.
- If you are on hemp oil, do not use cancer treating medicines as they have severe side effects.
- According to researchers, it indicates that people who are on hemp oil do not need the pharmaceutical medications. The common issues with people consuming both hemp oil and medicines have reported stomach upset.
- Half grain of rice should be the beginner’s dose for every 8 hours.
- You need to double the dose after four days and again after four days until you reach 1/3 ml or 8-9 grams of oil for three times daily.
- You will have to deal with the significant amount of sleep for 2-3 weeks. Then your body gets used to it, and after three weeks you don’t feel daytime tiredness. You won’t feel any addiction and neither your motor skills will be affected.
Be cautious as the mentioned facts are according to experimental basis and take advice from your doctor before you stop your drugs and start consuming hemp oil.
Doses advised for definite conditions
- The maintenance dose is around 1-2 grams per month.
- 60 grams dose is required for detoxification.
- 60 grams of oil is needed for cancer patients. However, patients on chemotherapy and radiation are advised to consume 180 grams of oil at least three times daily.
- A drop of oil is also useful for treating psoriasis, ulcers, skin cancer and 3rd-degree burns and cover it with a bandage.
Why make your hemp oil? It is highly beneficial and helps you handle multiple health problems.
The hemp plant is ideal for producing hemp oil as it contains tremendous amounts of polyunsaturated fats,i.e., a perfect ratio of Omega3 and Omega6 fatty acids which help in the protection of your cardiovascular system.
It is free from commercial additives, and you can make the self-sufficient amount of oil at home according to your requirements.