Hemp oil is extracted from the seeds of the Cannabis Sativa plant and has been in use worldwide for around hundred years.
Both the oil and seeds have been in use for food from 6000 BC in China, however, from the 20th century it has also been popular in the United States.
Hemp oil is derived from the hemp seeds by the cold-pressing method. The hemp oil appears as a light to dark green color with a nutty and creamy flavor.
Hemp oil lacks the THC content which is a psychoactive compound present in the marijuana.
However, there is a fear among the competing industries regarding the use of this oil as it is very nutritious giving a threat to other cooking oils in the market.
Benefits of using hemp oil in the food recipes
The things are evolving in today’s world regarding the hemp oil as it contains the CBD content which is a non-psychoactive agent. The hemp oil provides the individuals with various benefits which include:
- Anti-inflammatory effects.
- Antioxidant properties.
- Balanced nutrition.
- Easily digestible.
- Effective in lowering the risk associated with the heart disease because of the presence of sitosterol.
- Aids in balancing the hormones, reducing the symptoms associated with Menopause and PMS.
- It helps in relieving the arthritis pain.
- The hemp oil prevents the progression of cancer.
- The hemp oil aids in healing the skin conditions.
- It offers you with the healthy complexion.
- You can use hemp oil for treating acne because it contains essential fatty acids.
- The hemp oil supports in weight loss.
- It serves as a perfect source of plant-based protein nutrition.
- You can use hemp oil for the growth of beautiful hair.
- The hemp oil can be used as a varnish for application during the woodwork.
Ten amazing and delicious food recipes with the use of hemp oil
Hemp oil can be used for cooking meals as well as baking foods. The hemp oil comprises low flash point,i.e., it starts smoking at around low temperature.
The hemp oil is delicate and if cooked at high temperatures may result in hydrogenation. Therefore, it is better to use hemp oil at the end serving as the finishing oil, meaning that the hemp oil should be consumed in raw form.
You can use hemp oil either as a salad dressing or a prepared dressing for example ranch. The hemp oil can also be used as a substitute for fats for instance as butter over the rice or baked potato.
However, some individuals also prefer using hemp oil as a nutritional supplement,i.e., 1-2 Tbsp. Each day as needed.
Following are the fantastic food recipes prepared while using the hemp oil:
Hemp oil-honey mustard served as salad dressing
- 2 tbsp. Honey
- ¼ cup of Hemp oil
- 2 tbsp. of Apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Mustard
- ½ tsp. of soya sauce
- Pinch of salt according to your taste
Prep time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 0 mins
Yields: 1/3 cup,i.e., around four servings
The hemp oil- honey mustard salad dressing is a perfect, healthy, homemade salad dressing which utilizes hemp oil rather than olive oil. Hemp seed oil is the best alternative used for salad dressing without heat.
You can prepare the hemp oil salad dressing in a vegan form by using an agave nectar instead of honey. It is a delicious recipe which uses Dijon mustard on the salad dressing.
- Pour all the ingredients mentioned above into a bowl and whisk them until they are well-emulsified. Adjust the seasonings according to your taste. You might need a sweetener or more salt in the recipe, so adjust accordingly.
- Enjoy the hemp oil with honey mustard salad dressing.
Hemp oil salsa recipe
You can enjoy a delicious salsa recipe by adding organic hemp oil. For salsa, you will need the following ingredients such as tomatoes, onion, cilantro, Jalapeno, garlic, pepper, lemon, and salt. Most of the salsa recipes utilize olive oil but can substitute it with the hemp oil.
The hemp oil offers the salsa with an excellent flavor along with a nutrition boost. Hemp oil contains 3:1 omega-6 to omega-3 in ratio. Hemp comprises of Super Omega-3 SDA along with Super Omega-6 GLA which promotes the body in metabolizing fat.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 5 mins
Total Time Required: 15 mins
Serving: 12 oz
Ingredients for salsa recipe
- A handful of cilantro leaves minced
- two large tomatoes in the diced form
- A ½ red onion diced
- ½ to 1 minced Jalapeno pepper
- two garlic cloves finely minced
- 1 tbsp. of lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. of organic Hemp oil
- A pinch of salt along with black pepper to taste
- Combine onion, cilantro, tomatoes, pepper and lemon juice in a bowl.
- Add garlic, salt and hemp oil within the bowl.
- Mix them and serve it with your favorite tacos, chips, grains or butter.
- Store your freshly, homemade hemp oil salsa in the refrigerator and consume it within 3-4 days to enjoy the best flavor.
Hemp-crusted, grilled salmon
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Total time: 25 mins
Yields: 4 servings
Hemp seed oil adds texture and extra flavor to the tender salmon fillets which are basted with an excess delicious glaze.
- I Tbsp. of honey
- 1 tbsp. of tamari sauce
- 1 tbsp. of Organic Hemp oil
- 1tbsp of rice wine vinegar
- 2tbsp of Sriracha Hot sauce
- 2tsp of Tahini paste
- 1tsp of minced gingerroot
- ¼ tsp. of fresh ground pepper and salt
- four salmon fillets with skin on top each around 4-5 oz.
- one green onion which is finely chopped
- ¼ cup of Organic hemp seeds
Instructions for the recipe
- Preheat the grill over medium-high heat and grease it well.
- Stir the honey, vinegar, oil, Tamari, hot sauce, tahini paste along with ginger in a bowl.
- Season the salmon fillets with pepper and salt, grill it with the skin side facing down for 3-4 minutes until the grill-marks are present on the salmon fillets.
- Baste the fillet with a glaze on top, flip over and continue with cooking, with glaze on high for 5-6 minutes until the salmon is thoroughly cooked and starts flaking. Sprinkle each salmon fillet with the hemp seeds, garnishing it with green onions.
Nutmeg french toast served with maple hemp butter
For nutmeg french toast
You will need:
- eight thick bread slices
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 2 cups of hemp milk
- 6 eggs
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- ½ tsp. of vanilla extract
- one of nutmeg
- 1 tbsp. of cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. of unsalted butter
Maple hemp butter
You will need:
- 8 tbsp. or 1 stick of unsalted butter, softened
- 1/8 cup of hemp seed oil
- ¼ cup of pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp. of hemp seed which is toasted
Directions for cooking
Nutmeg french toast
- Mix the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, sugar, cinnamon along with nutmeg.
- Soak the bread in the prepared mixture one by one. Covering both the sides evenly. Place a frying pan on medium heat adding butter on it. Place each French toast in the pan until golden brown on both sides. Make sure the egg mixture is cooked thoroughly.
Maple hemp butter
- Place the softened butter in the bowl. Add the hemp seed oil, maple syrup, and toasted hemp seeds. Use the wooden spatula or electric mixer for incorporating the ingredients evenly. Place the mixture on a wax paper or a parchment paper and roll them similar to a sausage. Refrigerate them until the butter turns firm.
- To serve it, slice the slabs from the Hemp butter log, placing it on top of the Nutmeg French toast, allowing it to melt. Serve it either with fruits or syrup along with the Nutmeg French Toast.
Balsamic hemp-vinaigrette dressing
Preparation time: overnight
- one fresh spring Thyme
- one fresh spring Oregano
- 1 cup of hemp oil
- Pinch of salt and pepper according to taste
- ¼ cup of balsamic vinegar
Serving size: 1 1/4 cups
- Whisk hemp oil along with vinegar, pour all the herbs and spices.
- Store the mixture in a container or glass jar and refrigerate it overnight.
Vegan hemp pesto
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Servings: 1 ¼ CUPS
- 1/3 cup of hemp seeds
- 2/3 cup of hemp oil
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- ½ cup of yeast
- one bunch of fresh basil leaves
- Pinch of salt
- Combine all the ingredients in a processor and pulse them until the ingredients are coarsely blended. Enjoy it with your meal.
Power hemp popcorns
Preparation time: 10 mins
Serving: bowl for movie watchers
- Hemp oil 2-3 tbsps.
- Nutritional yeast
- Balsamic vinegar
- Pop up the cup of popcorns placing them in an air popper.
- Add hemp oil to the popcorns,
- Add nutritional yeast,
- Pinch of salt according to your taste.
- Add balsamic vinegar a bit on the popcorn.
- Enjoy your popcorn while watching a movie.
Wild, rice salad served with cumin-hemp vinaigrette
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Serving size: 6
For wild rice salad:
- 4 ½ cups of water
- 1 ½ cups of wild rice
- one asparagus, fennel and roasted red pepper each, diced
- two ear corns
For Cumin-Hemp Vinaigrette:
- 2 Tbsp. of rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. of ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp. of agave nectar
- ½ cup of hemp oil
- Pinch of salt and pepper according to your taste
- Cook the wild rice is combining it with salted water over the medium-low heat for around an hour. The rice should be cooked appropriately; itis prepared when the grains of rice start to burst.
- Place asparagus, fennel, and corns separately in salted water. Cook until all these ingredients are tender and place them in a nice Remove the grains from the cob and combine with diced asparagus and fennel.
- Now season and oil the red pepper in a bowl. Place them on an open flame, allowing the skin to bubble and burn from all sides.
- Place the pepper in a bowl, covering it with plastic allowing the pepper to steam for 20 minutes. After that peel off the skin of red pepper and discard them. Now dice the pepper and mix with other vegetables.
- Combine agave nectar, rice vinegar, and cumin in a blender. Slowly add in the hemp oil, allowing it to emulsify.
- Now mix the vinaigrette in the rice-vegetable mixture and serve it at room temperature.
Cilantro shrimp salad
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Serving size: 6
- 1 lb. medium, diced shrimp
- 1 inch of grated ginger
- 3 Thai chili in chopped form
- 1 Tbsp. of sugar
- 1 Tbsp. of garlic chopped
- one red onion which is finely diced
- 2 Tbsp. of fish sauce or Nam pla
- 2 Lbs. green papaya
- 2 tbsp. of hemp oil
- 3tbsp of peanut oil
- four baby bok choy
- ½ bunch of cilantro
- ¼ cup of toasted peanuts
- 2 scallions
- Clean the shrimps and de-vein them. Dice the shrimp into four equal pieces and reserve.
- Combine the Thai chilies, grated ginger, sugar, garlic, nam pla along with red onion. Whisk all these ingredients in a bowl. Add this mixture to shrimps and marinate it 30 minutes before cooking.
- Now add halved and washed baby bok choy to the boiling, salted water for around 3 minutes. Now place the little bok choy in iced cold water.
- Peel and dice the green papaya, cutting them into beautiful.
- Now wash and pick cilantro leaves, reserving them for dressing.
- Heat a frying pan on medium heat till it smokes. Now add peanut oil and leave it for 1 minute. Slowly add the marinating shrimp in the oil and cook it for 2 ½ minutes, till the shrimps appear translucent.
- Add hemp oil along with hemp seed, cilantro leaves, and scallions.
- Place the shrimps on the green papaya and then add baby bok choy.
- Sprinkle peanuts on the shrimps.
Garlic hemp and hummus
Preparation time: 10 mins
Serving: 2 cups
- 2 cups drained chickpeas along with 1/4 cup of liquid in reserve
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- three tablespoons hemp oil
- four cloves garlic
- two tablespoons hemp flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- one tablespoon hulled hemp seed
- Salt to taste
- Place all ingredients into the processor.
- Add liquid reserve to adjust the texture. Add oil to enhance the composition if needed.
- Add a pinch of salt to taste in your dish.
- Sprinkle with hulled hemp seeds.
You can use hemp oil in various dishes being creative and innovative in all ways. Hemp oil is highly beneficial, so you can utilize it in all your meals without worrying about medical conditions. However, consult your doctor or physician before consuming hemp oil in food recipes.