Even though CBD oil has issues about legalization and many physicians are hesitant while prescribing the cannabinoids as they are not sure about the dosage. It is also because the CBD or cannabidiol is not covered in the medical courses.
The scientists all over the world are performing research and studies to evaluate the dosing schedules for medicinal hemp, medicinal marijuana along with the extracts of both,i.e., CBD oil.
CBD comes in different forms and concentrations which includes CBD oil, CBD oil in the form of capsules, salves, sublingual tincture sprays or drops, edibles, and CBD vapor.
Every individual’s body is different
The mentioned guidelines in this article are suggested as a beginning reference point because every individual is different and each one of them reacts differently to the CBD dosage.
The dosage or the serving size of CBD oil for each person differs, so it is best, to begin with, a small dosage and gradually increase the dose until you achieve the desired results.
Every person is different because each one of us has a different endocannabinoid system which is essential for the maintenance and improvement of mental and physical health.
The endocannabinoid system has CB1 and CB2 receptors which are spread all over the body for controlling the nervous system and maintaining homeostasis.
The CBD helps in providing support to the endocannabinoid system to ensure that all the activities are under control by interacting with the CB1 receptors.
The dosage of CBD oil depends on the fact that you should begin with a low dosage and gradually increase it.
Confusing dosages of different CBD brands
The brands of CBD oils have created a sense of confusion among the consumers due to the different standards of all the CBD brands.
Many brands advise a serving which is too much while some recommend the dosage which is too little. The reason behind this confusion is the lack of standard review related to each CBD product.
The recommended standard serving size of CBD oil includes:
- Start with one drop of CBD oil on the first day.
- Increase the dosage with two drops of CBD oil each day for the initial 3-4 weeks till the time you experience the reduction in the symptoms of your disease.
- Avoid taking drops all at once, divide the dosage of CBD oil evenly throughout the day, for example, few drops of CBD oil in the morning, few in the afternoon, evening and at night before going to sleep.
- If your symptoms do not reduce, then increase the number of drops of CBD oil after 3-4 weeks until you achieve the desired results.
Take 25mg of CBD oil twice daily. It is advised to increase the dose after every 2-4 weeks by 25mg dosage until the symptoms are relieved.
You need to decrease the dose if the symptoms get worse with increased CBD intake. Place the bottle in a fresh, dark place example a refrigerator.
Important points to consider while taking the CBD oil
Follow these essential tips before taking the CBD oil:
How to select a CBD oil?
Many reputable organizations are selling the CBD oil. There are many factors to look for while considering the CBD oil.
Select the CBD oils which have a full spectrum of Cannabinoids because of the entourage effect. Choose the CBD oil which is grown from a reliable source.
CBD oil dosing
The concentrations of different CBD oils vary depending on their preparation, ranging between 1mg to 100mg per dose.
It makes the CBD oil dosing more accessible for the consumers to achieve the dosage which they need to consume and find it easy to use.
The Mayo Clinic suggests the dosage of CBD oil on publications, scientific research, expert’s advice or opinion and traditional use. The dosages and duration of CBD oil depend primarily on the underlying medical condition.
How many drops of CBD oil should you take?
There is no definitive answer to this question; you need to find out with research and trials getting errors and finally hitting the perfect dose for a happy point in the endocannabinoid system.
- For an increase in appetite in patients who have cancer, it is advised to consume: 2.5 milligrams of tetrahydrocannabinol or THC by mouth with or without the inclusion of 1mg CBD for at least 6-7 weeks.
- For treating the chronic pain: Consume 2.5-20mg CBD oil orally for around 25-27 days.
- For the treatment of epilepsy: it is advised to consume 200-300mg of CBD oil by mouth daily for approximately 4.5-5 months, by sublingual ingestion method.
- For the treatment of movement problems linked with the Huntington’s disease, it is recommended to consume 10mg for each kilogram of CBD oil by oral method daily for around 6-7 weeks.
- For the treatment of sleep disorders, it is recommended to use 40-160mg of CBD by mouth.
- For treating the symptoms of multiple sclerosis: it is advised to use cannabis plant extracts comprising around 2.5-120mgs of THC-CBD combination by oral method every day for at least 2-15 weeks.
- For the treatment of schizophrenia, consume 40-1280mg of CBD oil daily orally for around 4-5 weeks.
- For treating glaucoma, have a single dose of CBD around 20-40mg by placing it under the tongue. The increased dose of CBD oil greater than 40mg lead to increased pressure in eyes.
- To determine how many drops of CBD oil you should take, divide the total amount of CBD oil per serving with the number of milligrams per drop either around 0.5, 1 or 2.5 milligrams.
- For example, if the bottle has a serving size of around ten drops of CBD oil. The critical point is to consider that a bottle of 1 ounce has about 500 drops of CBD oil in a single container.
- If a 1oz bottle has 250 mg, then divide 250 by 500 which equals to the 1-2mg in each drop. So if you are saying 10mg of CBD, then you need to consume 2o drops of CBD oil.
- If a 1oz bottle has 500 mg, then divide 500 by 500 drops which means 1mg for each drop of CBD oil. So, if you are saying 10mg of CBD oil then consume ten drops.
- If now 1oz bottle has 1250mg, then you need to consume four drops from 10mg of CBD.
- For 6000mg of 3.3oz bottle of CBD oil, you need to consume three drops if it has 9mg of CBD.
General recommendations of CBD oil
The advised dosages of CBD oil include:
- For mild medical conditions consider the following dosage:
Three drops in the morning and 3 in the evening. After one week, consume five drops in morning and 5 in the afternoon (6-8% CBD),i.e., around 10-15 mg of CBD oil per dosage.
- For moderate medical conditions consider the following dosage:
Three drops in the morning while 3 in the evening. After one week five drops in the morning and 5 in the afternoon. After 14 days, five drops in the morning, 5 in the daytime, 5 in the evening (6-8% CBD),i.e., around 20-30 mg of CBD oil per dosage.
- For severe and chronic medical conditions consider the following dosage:
Four drops in the morning while 4 in the evening. After one week, use five drops in the morning while 5 in the afternoon. After 14 days, further, increase the dose of CBD oil (10-25% CBD) or use 20-40 mg CBD oil per dosage.
The effective dosage of CBD oil for every individual differs depending on the severity of the condition, weight, body chemistry, product concentration and others.
CBD Oil is mostly consumed orally either in the form of drops, paste or tincture.
For the consumption of CBD oil, place it under the tongue allowing it to absorb entirely in the mouth before you swallow it.
The step to leave CBD oil in the mouth for absorption is extremely important so that the contents of CBD oil are completely broken down by the help of digestive system.
The CBD oil in the form of drops is considered as the most efficient and most accessible method for many individuals.
Other methods for oral consumption include the mouth strips, capsules, and edibles. Some people also enjoy vaping the CBD oil via vaporizers or with the help of inhalers as they provide instant delivery and are highly efficient.
Other uses of CBD oil in topical applications include balms, lotion, patches or creams. Many ways of taking CBD oil are mentioned, but it all depends on an individual that which approach works for them because everyone is different.
For achieving the correct dosage of CBD oil, you should listen and experience the effects of CBD oil on your body.
For using drops, the best way is to consume them sublingually. However, the easiest way is to have CBD oil with a spoon and to drip the desired drops into the spoon.
Place the spoon in the mouth, putting the liquid under your tongue for around 90-100 seconds and then swallow.
You can also use drops in a drink. However, it is mildly useful as stomach acids break down the cannabinoids very quickly.
If you are taking drops in foods or beverages, it is recommended to use twice the dosage of the sublingual method. The method is useful after 25-30 minutes of use.
You need to experiment and try different dosages to find out the perfect dose for your body and to relieve the symptoms of the medical conditions. However, start with a small dosage of CBD oil and gradually increase the dose with time.