Some people are used to the bitter taste of Kratom and they can easily take it in the form of Kratom Powder, while others take it in the form of tea or take some juice with it to mask the bitter taste of Kratom.
Yet somehow, Kratom does touch their taste buds making them nauseous. To avoid this situation, now you can take Kratom in the form of capsules.
Don’t get worried, if you find Kratom capsules too expensive in the market, because this article will guide you step by step in the making of your own Kratom capsules!
What are the benefits of Kratom capsules?
The benefits of Kratom capsules are many; this is why people prefer them over loose Kratom powder. Firstly, you don’t experience the bitter taste, there’s no mess, no hassle, no work and you don’t need to measure the dose each time you want to consume Kratom!
Secondly, you can carry it anywhere you like. If you have read or heard that Kratom capsules are not effective, then let us tell you that Kratom quality is the main factor. If you use low-quality Kratom, definitely you won’t experience the effects.
Kratom has many effects, but usually, people do not experience them due to the unappealing taste of Kratom.
Taking Kratom capsules allows one to enjoy the effects of Kratom without getting annoyed by mixing the powder in liquids or inhaling the powder dust.
What are the disadvantages associated with Kratom capsules?
Two major drawbacks are associated with the use of Kratom capsules. Firstly, Kratom capsules are 10-30% more expensive than the loose Kratom powder. However, the cost can be reduced if the capsules are made at home, which is why you are reading this article.
Secondly, the onset of action of Kratom is delayed 5-20 minutes with the consumption of Kratom, the reason being that the gastric enzymes first have to dissolve the capsule and then absorb the Kratom powder.
The delay can be reduced by drilling holes in the capsule. These holes should be micro holes so that Kratom powder doesn’t come out of the capsule in the mouth.
Why does one experience a delay in effects when consuming Kratom capsules?
The basic component of capsule could be an animal protein known as gelatin or a plant protein. When these capsules are consumed, the enzymes present in the stomach along with the gastric juices act on this capsule and start digesting it.
This process takes time. Once this capsule is dissolved, the loose Kratom powder comes out. The stomach enzymes and juices then act on it and convert it into its active form.
Then activated form of Kratom is sent to the intestines and absorbed from there into the bloodstream. This entire process usually takes 5 to 15 minutes but in the presence of a capsule, the process can be delayed even for 45 minutes.
What are the types of capsules that can be used?
Two types of capsules that are found in the market include gelatin capsules and veggie capsules. Veggie capsules are originated from plant source while gelatin capsules are derived from animal proteins.
The gelatin capsules
As compared to the Veggie capsules, the gelatin capsules are more common. Though they are very cheap, yet their use in the recent years has been reduced.
This decrease in usage of gelatin capsules is because these capsules are made from animal by-products which contain the chemicals being fed to animals.
Many people are sensitive to these chemicals and develop an allergy to them. Therefore, the use of gelatin capsules is quite controversial these days.
The veggie capsules
Considered as one of the best alternatives to gelatin capsules, veggie capsules have a strong hold on the market these days. The primary components of veggie capsules are hypromellose, cellulose, and purified water.
These capsules are gluten-free, vegetarian-friendly, non-GMO, non-animal and free of preservatives and chemicals. Some synthetic veggie capsules are made from methylcellulose. Veggie capsules are Halal certified.
They are physically stable over a wide range of humidity and temperature. As compared to gelatin capsules they dissolve quickly and stomach and do not cause allergy.
Capsules are available in the following sizes;
- Capsule size ‘000’: Contains 1 gram of Kratom powder
- Capsule size ‘00’: Contains 0.735 grams of Kratom powder
- Capsule size ‘0’: Contains 0.5 grams of Kratom powder
- Capsule size ‘1’: Contains 0.4 grams of Kratom powder
- Capsule size ‘2’: Contains about 0.3 grams of Kratom powder
Kratom capsules are ‘0’ in size and each capsule holds 500 mg or 0.5 grams of Kratom powder.
Ingredients required making Kratom capsules
- The first thing that you need is capsules. You should go for the 000 size as it is the largest size.
- You will also need a capsule holder/filler/machine, but this is optional, depending on your method of creation.
- You will require a tamper to be able to pack the loose powder into capsules.
- Parchment paper to collect any spillover.
- To weigh Kratom, you’ll need a scale.
What is a capsule machine/holder?
It is a plastic box that has slots where one can place empty capsules. The powder is placed on this and the empty capsules are filled. They are not machines actually. It’s just a device that assists one in filling the capsules without measuring it every time you take a dose of Kratom.
How do I make my own Kratom capsules?
The process of making your own Kratom capsules at home is fun and engaging so you should enjoy it to the fullest while paying due attention to each and every detail. The steps mentioned below are a guide to making capsule by capsule machine/filler/holder.
Step 1: Gather supplies needed
1. You will need capsules and Kratom foremostly, along with all the supplies mentioned above.
Step 2: Setting the capsules
1. Firstly, you will need to take the tops of the capsules and set them aside. The larger halves should be placed in the capsule holder.
2. Now raise the top part of the holder and turn the blockers so that they hold it up.
Step 3: Filling capsules
1. In this step, you place the Kratom powder that you’ll need aside. You weigh it for the required number of capsules. Take half the amount, because you pour half in each capsule in the first fill and then you tamp the powder.
2. Place this Kratom on the holder and using a card, scrape the powder pile to fill all the holes completely.
3. Next, you get your temper and push down all loose kratom powder to make it compact.
4. Repeat this procedure of pouring Kratom, scraping and then tamping it until the capsules are left with no space to accommodate even another crumb of kratom inside.
Step 4: Capping the capsules
1. Now you turn the blocks so that you are able to lower the top level of the capsule holder to the lowest setting.
2. Lower halves of the capsules will be overflowing with Kratom powder at this point, so when you try to put on the tops, it is likely that you will knock some powder. At this step, you require the precision of hand and eye coordination. When you push the tops, make sure you hear a slight ‘click.’ This ensures that the capsule is closed properly.
3. If you are using a hand to fill capsules you can also fill the top and then close it. However, the capsule is not closed properly by this method, but who cares for as long as the capsule remains closed in the mouth!
Step 5: Remove the capsules from the capsule holder
1. Take the capsules out of the holder by hand and place them in a plastic bag.
2. Now, turn over the capsule holder and tap off all the leftover kratom.
3. Weigh it.
4. Subtract it from the original amount weighed.
5. Divide the result by the number of capsules you made and you find the dose per capsule.
Tips on taking Kratom capsules
- Take Kratom capsules on empty stomach or 45 minutes after a meal.
- Take a large gulp of water while taking the Kratom capsule, this ensures that the capsule doesn’t stay adherent to throat or esophagus (due to the gelatin content in it).
What is the recommended dosage of Kratom capsules?
(Provided size 000 capsule is used)
- 2-3 capsules: Produce mild effects (stimulating, euphoria like)
- 4-7 capsules: Produce medium strength effects (these effects range from stimulant to sedative)
- 8-11 capsules: Produce strong effects (Sedative effects. Too strong for sensitive people)
- 12-15 capsules: Produce intensely strong effects (sedative-euphoric effects that are too strong for most of the people)
People who are new to the use of Kratom should take a capsule or two initially and then slowly increase the dose to find the sweet spot.
Where do I get empty capsules from?
You can find them online or at a local health shop. Usually, the ones available online are cheaper so do your research before purchasing them.
Advantages of making Kratom capsules at home
They are more economical than the ones you purchase online. Moreover, there are no additives as in the contents of capsules are pure Kratom powder.
You can control the concentration of Kratom powder as the unique nature of Kratom. You can use a blend, an extract anything you like. Homemade Kratom capsules are a cost-effective option.
Will I experience any side effects if I consume Kratom capsules?
It depends on your health and your sensitivity profile. Some people are allergic to gelatin capsules, thus when they consume these capsules, the body releases Histamine, that results in constriction of airspace in lungs.
As a result of this breathing becomes difficult. People sensitive to gelatin may also experience a rash on the skin. The alternative to gelatin capsules is veggie capsules.
Making Kratom capsules is quite easy. The best part is that you can have any concentration and any blend you want and most of all you do not need to experience the bitterness of Kratom. It’s not necessary that you purchase a capsule machine/holder.
You can search the internet for DIY capsule machines and make the entire process even more affordable.