The tincture of CBD is an alcohol-based extract from the Cannabis plant, i.e., they are infused with alcohol. Tinctures were reflected as one of the essential forms of medicine until the United States banned the use of cannabis.
The CBD tinctures are gaining popularity in today’s world due to the most natural method of dosing and administration.
People assume that the Cannabis tincture is also termed as Green Dragon which is used for medical and recreational purpose allowing you to consume it without any smoking. The CBD tinctures aid in relieving the signs and symptoms associated with the multiple medical conditions.
What does it mean by CBD tinctures?
The CBD tinctures are considered as an effective means of using Cannabis accurately, quickly and conveniently.
CBD tincture is a form of the medical solution which is prepared by the infusing the extracts of the cannabis plant or any herbal material in alcohol.
The tinctures are ready for oral consumption to allow the individuals to ingest it straightforwardly and directly.
The CBD tinctures have zero psychoactive effects when compared to the tinctures with THC. However, it is noticed that the combination of THC and CBD have a magnified or entourage effect when combined.
The tinctures are available in a bottle of half an ounce, 1oz or 2oz serving sizes which can be ingested with the help of a dropper which is a natural dosing method.
The Tinctures are available in varying strengths ranging between 100-500mg of CBD in it. The tinctures are prepared in thick consistency which flows able at room temperature.
Each tincture contains around 10-25% of CBD with an intense concentration allowing you to uplift the mood within half an hour to one hour.
How do you make the CBD tincture?
- Air-tight/ MasonJar
- Muslin or cheesecloth
- A funnel
- Glass jug which has a spout
- Dark colored bottles along with a dropper
- Strainer or a coffee filter
- Alcohol (high-proof such as Ever clear)
- Cannabis products,i.e., 1oz High CBD Cannabis strain such as Harlequin or Canna-Tsu
- The secondary ingredients utilized for the preparation of CBD tinctures are sweeteners, emulsifiers, flavor enhancers and others.
There are different types of recipes available to prepare the CBD tincture. You can choose according to the availability of time, preference, equipment and risk tolerance.
If you are using raw Cannabis plant, you need to decarboxylate the extract to transform the content,i.e., THCA into THC.
For decarboxylation, you need to set the oven to 235 degrees F, during this time grind 10z of Cannabis flowers with the help of excellent, manual cheese grinder, blender or coffee grinder.
Then spread the ground Cannabis on a baking sheet which is lined with a parchment paper. Bake the ground Cannabis herbs for 35-45 minutes. After baking it, allow the cannabis to cool before you proceed further.
Alcohol-infused CBD tincture
Alcohol is considered as a standard solvent which serves as an excellent cannabinoid extractor. Although, Ever clear is highly inflammable and expensive.
Traditional green dragon recipe of CBD tincture
Decarboxylate the flowers or extracts from the Cannabis plant.
Mix the Cannabis extract or herbs in a jar along with the combination of high-proof alcohol such as Ever clear.
Covering it properly
Place a lid over the jar, and cover it adequately.
Let it sit for weeks
Allow the Cannabis product to stay in the jar for few weeks, shaking the mixture regularly at least once in a day.
Filtering the mixture
After allowing the Cannabis to sit in for few weeks, you need to filter the mixture of Cannabis and alcohol with the help of a strainer or utilize a coffee filter.
Begin with the low dose of the mixture, starting with 1ml of the CBD tincture which aids in the assessment of potency of the Cannabis product.
Master wu’s green dragon recipe of CBD tincture
It is defined as one of the most commonly used the general method of preparing the CBD tincture along with the tips, tricks, and detailed instructions.
The recipe varied from the traditional approach in this recipe, heat is utilized for speeding up the extraction and concentration process of preparing the CBD tincture. You can quickly make the product until evening with the help of heat.
The following is the method used for the recipe:
Decarboxylate the extracts or flowers from the Cannabis plant.
Mix the herbs or Cannabis extract in a jar along with the use of high-proof alcohol such as ever clear.
Use a water bath and simmer the Mason jar with cannabis product at 170 degrees F for at least 20-30 minutes.
Straining the product
After simmering the jar, strain the final product and store it for later use.
Modern green dragon recipe of CBD tincture
The recipe makes use of the latest developmental technology which is present in the online methods of preparing the CBD tincture.
For this method:
You need to decarboxylate the Cannabis extract or flowers.
Then mix the Cannabis herbs or extract in a jar filled with high-proof alcohol which is ever clear.
Shaking and straining
Shake the jar for 4-5 minutes after which strain the mixture by using a sieve or coffee filter.
Store it for later use
Store the CBD tincture for later use.
Glycerin- infused recipe of CBD tincture
Glycerin is either plant or animal origin. However, the plant-based is more preferred. Glycerin based CBD tinctures have a limitation,i.e., potency. The Glycerin based tinctures can be made stronger by resoaking the fresh material in an infused liquid.
There are two methods for preparing the Glycerin based CBD tinctures,i.e., with heat and without heat.
The heating aids in speeding the process but comes with a limitation of boiling the terpenes and a slight loss in flavor. If you need wholesome final product, then opt for cold maceration.
- Food grade Glycerin
- Trimmed or dry bud
- Coffee grinder
- Glass jars or slow cooker
- Cheesecloth or strainer
Crockpot method using heat
- Place the crockpot on low heat with an ideal temperature of 80degree C. the low flame prevents the contents of tincture from burning. If you are worried, you can opt for a clear-jar method.
- Grind the cannabis using a blender or coffee grinder.
- Place the cannabis flowers and stalks in the jar infusing it in glycerin. Cover the pot and place it in the crockpot for around 6-24 hours.
- Remove the heat and allow the tincture to cool down overnight or for few hours.
- Strain the tincture with the help of However, this will be a slower process as glycerin has a sticky texture and moves slowly.
- Store the strained mixture in a dropper bottle.
Cold maceration method
The cold extraction method with Glycerin preserves the integrity and terpenes of the Cannabis flowers. The sweet flavor of Glycerin masks the unpleasant taste of the Cannabis plant.
You can also use Glycerin instead of Alcohol while preparing the CBD tincture as it is 100% safe and healthy to consume without any side effects. The CBD tinctures prepared with Glycerin are comparatively less concentrated than the alcohol-infused CBD tinctures.
- You need to follow the similar method for Glycerin infused CBD tinctures as the alcohol ones. The difference lies in inspiring the Cannabis extract in Glycerin rather than alcohol within the jar.
- You need to place the jar filled with Cannabis and Glycerin over the window sill and expose it to sunlight for at least 4-5 weeks. The method allows the Cannabis to thoroughly marinate in the Glycerin and shakes the jar daily during the 4-5 week’s period.
- After this time, strain the Cannabis mixture and achieve your final CBD tincture and store within a dropper bottle for easy consumption.
- Watch the following links to use the general method for the preparation of CBD tincture.
Uses of CBD tincture
You can use CBD tinctures for various medical conditions such as:
- Autoimmune diseases
- Bowel disorders
- Crohn’s Disease
- Multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Mad cow disease
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Which strains are best for preparing the CBD tincture?
You need to choose the Cannabis strains which have a high content of CBD and trace amounts of THC. Such Cannabis strains include:
- Sweet and Sour Widow
- Sour Tsunami
- Stephen Hawking kush
- Charlotte’s Web
What is the administration method of CBD tincture?
The safest and the fastest method of consuming CBD tincture is the sublingual method which allows the medication to reach the system readily.
The tincture absorbs entirely through the veins, present under the tongue, absorbing directly into the bloodstream and bypassing the stomach or digestive system allowing the product to be potent and pure.
- Shake well.
- Squeeze some drops of CBD tincture, i.e., around 3-4 drops by using a dropper as mentioned on the label.
- Slosh the tincture of CBD within your mouth with the help of the tongue many times, while breathing deeply through the nose.
- After 30 seconds to 1 minute, swallow the tincture. However, the CBD tincture contains traces of THC; it makes you feel sleepy and relaxed.
Popular CBD tinctures available in market
If you are not willing to prepare the CBD tincture on your own, you can purchase the famous tinctures readily from the market such as:
- Chronic Health (a Green Halo company)
- Venice Cookie Company
How to dose and utilize the CBD tinctures?
It is the simplest and straightforward method to measure the dosage of tinctures as you can self-titrate it. Start with a 1ml of CBD tincture, placing it under the tongue. If the desired results are achieved with this dose, then consider this your ideal dosage.
If not, then try consuming around 2-3 ml of CBD tincture, the next day. You can gradually increase the dose rather than consuming it all at once or high dosage.
CBD tinctures have an extended shelf life; they last for multiple years. Store the bottles of CBD tinctures in a cool, dark place. You can prepare large quantities of CBD tincture and easily self-titrate the dose accordingly.
The CBD tincture is a convenient and accurate method to ingest Cannabis. CBD tinctures can also be added to drinks or meals when preparing them: these include Sherbets, Gelatin, Soups, Ice creams, gravy, Salad dressing or mashed potatoes.
There are various ways to prepare the CBD tinctures. It all depends on your preference that which method you choose to develop one according to the availability of time, equipment, safety concerns and availability of materials.
If you are not willing to spend time in making the CBD tincture, then you can directly buy the CBD tinctures from the famous brands mentioned above.
Consult your doctor or health professional before you choose to consume CBD in your daily routine for relieving the medical conditions.