Pain in any area of the body can be a hindrance. Especially when the pain becomes chronic and lasts for months and months – impacting the quality of our life.
These aches and pains become more unbearable for the elderly population as it not only affects their ability to perform physical tasks but also impacts their emotional well-being.
Pain – is a common problem in older persons and according to stats, more than 50% of elderlies living in community settings complain of chronic pain? Additionally, the pain experienced by the elderlies of our community tends to be more constant and range from moderate to severe intensity.
Unfortunately, most medical experts suggest patients to take opiates apart from analgesic to relieve the pain. In fact, a study comprising of 300 US veterans showed that 44% received both – opiates and analgesic for pain management.
However, the increased usage of opiate may not be tolerated by many individuals as opiates – however effective they might be can cause side effects. Furthermore, there is a dependency issue with opiates and most consumers are unable to stop the usage even after their problem is resolved.
Of course, young adults can experiment with several treatment methods such as massages, acupuncture, and even mind-relaxation techniques such as yoga to free themselves from the recurring pain. However, the elderlies are reluctant to try such methods for the fear of poor health, lack of mobility, and sometimes – lack of resources.
This is where Kratom comes in
Kratom as we are all aware is known as the best natural pain reliever that does the trick of reducing elderly pain without any side effects.
A recent online survey conducted by the American Kratom Association asked 6,150 Kratom users on the effectiveness of the herb. 90% of the participants claimed Kratom to be very effective for pain as well as depression, anxiety, and insomnia. Around 0.03% said the herb did not help them at all.
In short, Kratom strains are very effective in treating the most chronic pains. However, some are wary about its usage on elders.
What if it causes side effects?
Kratom, as we all know is safe to use and there is no risk of any side effects when used as directed. Those who are planning to give the herb to an elderly individual should make sure:
- The herb does not counteract with any other medicine they are taking
- The user takes small amounts initially
- To look out for any undesirable side effects
- To find out as much about the specific Kratom before using
Kratom for Elderly pain
Now that we have gotten this clear, let’s find out which strains are ideal for pain management and well tolerated by elders. No two herbs are same and due to the different growing conditions and variations – no two Kratom will provide the same effects. While some are good for depression, others are helpful in pain.
Here are some of the top Kratom strains for pain management:
- Bali: The high content of 7-hydroxymitraginine in Bali strains is very effective for pain relief and helps in producing analgesic effect. It can be safely used by individuals who are suffering from chronic pain from joint diseases and even cancer.
- Malaysian strains: These strains are also effective in relieving pain and are less sedating then the above mentioned Bali strains. Because of this, these strains are ideal for use by those elderlies who don’t want anything interfering with their energy levels. The Malay strains are especially helpful in relieving joint stiffness and pain from arthritis – a common problem faced by older adults.
- Maeng Da: The strain, just like others has pain relieving properties and is especially beneficial for chronic backache, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and even pain from cancer. however, it is effective when taken in higher dosage. It also has sedating properties which is why it is recommended to take the strain when no physical task requires the user’s attention.
- Red Vein Borneo: Known to be the strongest of all Kratom, the red vein Borneo provides the best relief from pain. However, since it has a high intensity level, it is recommended to be used only by those who are more accustomed to the effects of Kratom. Additionally, the red vein Borneo provides the users with a euphoric effect and works wonder to uplift the user’s mood and energy levels.
- Red Vein Thai: Also known as the “Red Thai”, the strain is one of the most popular in the market today. Well, why wouldn’t it. The red vein Thai provides the best alternate for pain relieving medicine and when used as directed, users can benefit greatly. Additionally, the red vein Thai Kratom strain works as a mood up lifter and relieves users from depression, anxiety, and lethargic feelings.
The final words
We all know Kratom as the most wonderful herb for pain relief as well as an anti-depressant that helps us ward off anxious and depressive feelings. However, sometimes the effects of Kratom work contrarily on different people. This is why special care is needed by those who are providing elderly individuals with Kratom.
Apart from assessing the symptoms of the users, it is also essential for Kratom consumers to take advice from the respective doctors. Since Kratom is legal in most parts of United States, there will be no reason for the doctor to prohibit its use until and unless it interferes with their medical condition.
And even if the doctor allows you completely, make sure you
read up on the effects of Kratom fully and even educate the person you are
giving it to in order to prevent any complications. And of course, make sure
that in case of any symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea – the use
of Kratom should be stopped immediately. With that in mind, good luck and hope you find the
perfect Kratom strain for your elderly loved one!